Sunday, January 04, 2009

granada (nicaragua).

My last night on Ometepe was spent enjoying my $2 dinner which comprised of an amazing pineapple+milk smoothie and a vegetarian entree made of some sort of corn base (very similar to polenta) with sauteed onions and tomatoes on top, and the unforgettable beans all around it...it was yummy!
Today I wanted to wake up bright and early to get on an early boat, although I actually could have used some more rest...I fell asleep on the chicken buses to Granada...I had to take two, and I don't know if it was just me being tired and cranky, but it just seemed to me that the music was cranked up super loud and the ride was pretty hectic...people were getting on and off pretty much on the fly, with two doors constantly open and the bus guys screaming out the destinations, and hurrying the people that were trying to jump on and off the bus...I usually like that, except that today I was tired and half-asleep, so it proved harder than usual...
Granada is an extremely charming colonial town, everything is unfortunately a little bit more expensive, but life is very laid back, people are quite friendly, although there already is enough gringo tourism and gringo real estate businesses...I just hope it doesn't end up like Costa Rica!
I was walking down to the pier and some guy selling coconuts stopped me to strike up a conversation, first about the founder of Granada, then about foreign girls, and so on and so forth...I ended up getting a coconut from him, for $0.50, because I was really thirsty...and on my way back from the pier I stopped over again and he cut it in halves and let me eat the insides! It was pretty nice...sometimes I wanna think people are this nice for a reason (i.e. they want money or something), and that there's always a catch, but here it seems like they're just naturally friendly! There are still some beggars around, but they're not nearly persistent enough to be a nuisance...

No comments: