Sunday, December 21, 2008

san jose.

My day was pretty uneventful...I slept in, ate a whole bunch of food, then walked around Puerto Viejo some more, packed up, and got on 2 different buses to San Jose...this time around I am trying to get to like it here...but I wish I had more time to do that, because we're leaving tomorrow morning again, so not enough time!
The hostel I am staying at, Pangea, is really cool, despite the fact that it took me a while to find it even though it was super close to my bus stop!
Well, anyway, the hostel is kinda pricey and overwhelming, and tailored for Americans, and they're trying to make money off you in any possible way...but it's really cool! It has a freakkin' swimming pool, a rooftop patio, bar and restaurant, free Internet, and a nice TV room...really, a nice way to block out the San Jose craziness and crime...so it's nice to chill out here and enjoy the place, it is really impressive!
I do actually wish I could and would get out and meet Ticos, talk to the locals and discover the place I am in...not this hostel, which could be anywhere in the world!
But it seems that the center of town is "too dangerous" for gringos or whatever...so everything has to be arranged by taxi, or shuttle, and there is security at the door, and we have a wristband, and stuff like that...I don't really like it at all, but oh well...to get to the airport I am not going to use their expensive shuttle, but instead walk to town and take a super cheap local bus...but my brother's plane is going to arrive maybe too late, and we might have to take a taxi all the way back here...we'll see...I am going to drop all my "valuables" in my locker and hide some cash in my private parts and get out there and see what it's like...everybody says it is scary, I want to see for myself. Other than that, not much is going on, I wanted to try the pool, but it feels a little too chilly! At least my belly is very full and I am happy...I am finally getting into vacation-in-Latin-America mode...which I love, and which takes time to get in and out of! So I better enjoy it while it's here! More on San Jose later from these free computers...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We'll still be here when you return! Hopefully you can spend some time getting to know the reefs around Punta Uva next time & enjoy a pipa del coco -Hatch
puerto viejo weather & road conditions